To become a Lyft driver, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Have a valid driver’s license and at least one year of driving experience.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Pass a background check that includes driving record and criminal history.
- Have access to a car that meets Lyft’s vehicle requirements.
- Meet the vehicle insurance requirements.
Once you meet these requirements, you can follow these steps to become a Lyft driver:
- Apply online: Go to the Lyft website and click on “Drive with Lyft” to start the application process.
- Fill out the application: Provide your personal and vehicle information, driver’s license number, and insurance information. You’ll also need to consent to a background check.
- Get your vehicle inspected: Lyft requires that your car meets their vehicle requirements. You’ll need to schedule a vehicle inspection to ensure that your car is safe and meets their standards.
- Complete the onboarding process: After passing the background check and vehicle inspection, you’ll need to complete the onboarding process, which includes watching training videos and taking a quiz.
- Start driving: Once you complete the onboarding process, you’ll be ready to start driving for Lyft.
Note that the exact requirements and steps to become a Lyft driver may vary depending on your location. It’s important to check the Lyft website or contact Lyft support for more information specific to your area.
Lyft Driver and Vehicle Requirements
To become a Lyft driver, you must meet the following driver requirements:
- Age: You must be at least 21 years old.
- Driving experience: You must have at least one year of driving experience.
- Driver’s license: You must have a valid driver’s license.
- Background check: You must pass a background check that includes driving record and criminal history.
- Social security number: You must have a valid Social Security number.
- Insurance: You must have personal auto insurance that meets your state’s requirements.
In addition to the driver requirements, your vehicle must also meet the following requirements:
- Age: Your vehicle must be a 2006 model year or newer (in most cities).
- Four doors: Your vehicle must have four doors and be able to seat at least four passengers.
- Condition: Your vehicle must be in good condition and pass a vehicle inspection.
- Insurance: Your vehicle must be covered by a personal auto insurance policy that meets your state’s requirements.
- Registration: Your vehicle must be registered in the state where you plan to drive.
- Plates: Your vehicle must have valid license plates that match the state where it is registered.
Note that the exact driver and vehicle requirements may vary depending on your location. It’s important to check the Lyft website or contact Lyft support for more information specific to your area.
How Long Does It Take to Start Driving Lyft?
The time it takes to start driving for Lyft can vary depending on several factors, including the time it takes to complete the application and onboarding process, pass the background check and vehicle inspection, and obtain a rental car (if applicable).
In general, the process of becoming a Lyft driver can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on how quickly you can complete the requirements and how busy Lyft’s driver onboarding team is at the time.
Here is a rough estimate of the time it takes to become a Lyft driver:
- Online application: 15-30 minutes
- Background check: 2-5 business days
- Vehicle inspection: 1-2 hours
- Onboarding process: 2-3 hours
- Rental car (if applicable): 1-2 days
Assuming everything goes smoothly and there are no delays, you could potentially start driving for Lyft within a few days of starting the application process. However, it’s important to note that the timeline can vary and some drivers may experience delays or issues that prolong the process.
What Disqualifies You from Being a Lyft Driver?
There are several requirements that must be met to become a Lyft driver, and failure to meet any of these requirements can disqualify someone from driving for the platform. Some of the common disqualifying factors include:
- Age: In most markets, drivers must be at least 21 years old to drive for Lyft.
- Driving experience: Drivers must have a valid driver’s license and at least one year of driving experience.
- Background check: All drivers are subject to a background check that includes criminal history and driving records. Disqualifying factors may include violent crimes, drug-related offenses, or major traffic violations.
- Insurance: Drivers must have a valid personal auto insurance policy that meets the minimum requirements in their state.
- Vehicle requirements: Drivers must have a vehicle that meets Lyft’s vehicle requirements, including model year, condition, and size.
- Ratings: Drivers must maintain a minimum rating from passengers to continue driving for Lyft.
- Vehicle inspection: Drivers must pass a vehicle inspection to ensure that their car is safe and in good condition.
- Citizenship or work authorization: Drivers must have legal authorization to work in the country where they want to drive.
These requirements can vary by market and may be subject to change. Prospective drivers can review the full list of requirements and qualifications on the Lyft website.
Lyft Driver App
The Lyft driver app is a mobile application designed specifically for Lyft drivers. It can be downloaded for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, depending on your device.
Once you have downloaded the app, you’ll need to log in with your Lyft driver account information. From there, you’ll have access to a variety of features and tools that will help you manage your rideshare business.
Some of the key features of the Lyft driver app include:
- Accepting and managing ride requests: The app will notify you when there is a ride request in your area. You can accept or decline the ride, and the app will provide you with directions to the pickup location.
- Navigation tools: The app includes built-in navigation tools to help you get to your destination quickly and efficiently.
- Earnings tracking: You can track your earnings and view your ride history directly from the app.
- Messaging: You can communicate with riders through the app’s messaging feature.
- Driver support: If you have questions or need assistance, you can contact Lyft’s driver support team directly from the app.
- Driver mode: You can switch the app to driver mode to indicate that you’re available to pick up riders.
- Driver rewards: You can participate in various driver rewards programs through the app, such as the Power Driver Bonus or the Driver Accelerate program.
Overall, the Lyft driver app is an essential tool for Lyft drivers, providing them with the tools and resources they need to manage their business and provide a high-quality rideshare experience for riders.