Uber Technologies Inc. is a transportation network company (TNC) based in the United States. Initially starting out by providing cab-based ride hailing services, Uber has gradually grown to diversify their operations in different domains.
- The company currently provides cab, bike, scooter and bicycle hailing services to customers worldwide.
- As part of its stated vision to provide multi-modal transportation services, Uber recently launched its latest product earlier this year – Uber Bus service.
LAUNCH OF UBER’S BUS SERVICE:
On 4 December 2018, Uber announced the launch of its Bus service in Cairo, Egypt.
- Egypt is the first country where Uber’s bus service has
- Uber had been testing its latest innovation since September 2018 for ensuring
- The company’s CEO, Dara A tweeted that its latest service will “enhance the famous Egypt minibus systems with Uber technology”.
- With Uber, users can request a ride on
busthrough the Uber app.
- Uber will then connect them to other passengers
travellingthrough the same route.
- This will reduce the number of stops and hence, allow users to reach their destinations faster.
- These passengers, linked on the Uber app, will share their ride on the bus provided by uber.
Since a number of riders share the bus service, the fares are significantly reduced.
FARES AND SERVICE:
Uber promises users that when they book a seat on the bus provided by Uber, they will get a ride on a clean, air-conditioned and
- Bus services are now operational in Nasr City, Heliopolis, Greater Downtown, Haram, Dokki and Mohandeseen.
- Since Uber operates along the most popular routes in Cairo, riders will always have an bus available near them.
- At the time of launch, Uber is offering its bus services at 5 EGP.
HOW BUS SERVICE WORKS IN CAIRO:
- REQUEST RIDE: In the Uber app, enter your pick-up and destination details. Select Bus and request a ride. See here How to book Uber Ride
- WAIT FOR TRIP DETAILS: After entering your details, wait for the Uber app to find
an busnear you. Uber promises that this waiting time will be a maximum of 5 minutes.
- TRIP DETAILS: The Uber app confirms your seat on an Uber bus bear you. The app provides you with driver details, vehicle number and your pick-up point. You can track your bus on the app.
- WALK TO PICK-UP POINT: Walk to your pick-up location before the bus arrives. Make sure you are at your
a ontime, since the bus will wait only for two minutes.
- SCAN BARCODE: Once you reach your bus, scan your QR code available on the Uber app to get your ticket. Riders can pay for the ride with card or cash.
- RIDE: Once you have completed
payment, enjoy your ride on the comfortable, clean and spacious bus.
- WALK TO DESTINATION: Once you are near your destination, the app will show you the best spot where you can get off the bus. You will receive a notification on the Uber app, informing the dropping point. From here, you can walk to your destination. Uber will provide you with directions to help you get to your location.
UBER BUS IN INDIA:
Though Uber has not yet disclosed details about the launch of Bus services in India. However, there is
- First, the main idea behind the launch of Bus services is to capture a share of public transport services in cities where the existing public transportation is not optimum.
- Considering this fact, India offers Uber a perfect testing ground for its bus services, since most Indian cities have an overcrowded and chaotic public transportation system.
- Uber has great potential to tap into this void. India offers a great opportunity for Uber’s bus service, especially office workers who do not have their own vehicle and are forced to use crowded transport means.
Uber can also expect support from the Indian Government, which is looking at all possible solutions to India’s urban traffic woes.