Uber has been a trend setter from the day it has entered in car rental business. It has made day to day commute easy and convenient with Uber. Uber has acquired a large market share in past couple of years. It is very easy to request a ride and Uber allows its customers to get a fare estimate before hiring a cab, it also lets you cancel a ride if needed. Uber cancellation policy is discussed in this article.
Because of the nature of business, Uber has deployed a cancellation policy. There is a cost involved in every transaction and business is done to make profit and to avoid people to take undue advantage. Uber cancellation policy is of utmost importance. In this article, we will discuss Uber’s cancellation policy
When the rider requests a ride, he is matched with a driver. You can cancel the cab at anytime before boarding the cab. There are two different scenarios involved in this and we will discuss both in detail in this article
Uber’s Cancellation Policy:
Canceling a cab before the rider is matched with the driver
1. Go to the Uber app or website
2. Tap on the information bar at the bottom of the screen. The information bar will be white in color and will be at the bottom of the screen jut above blue ribbon
3. Another window will pop to confirm the cancellation
4. Click on Yes to confirm and proceed.
5. Uber also asks for the reason of cancellation as a feedback like whether the wait was more than expected or if the estimated fare was more than expected.
If the ride is canceled before you have been matched with the driver a cancellation fee is not charged. In fact, as a true customer-centric model they like to know the reason so they can improve and provide better service.
Canceling a cab after matched with a driver
Once you have been matched with a driver, the screen on your Uber app will change and will now reflect the driver’s details in order to cancel the ride follow the step outlined below
1. Tap on driver’s info bar at the bottom of your screen. Driver’s info bar has a picture of the driver with one-time password placed just above it and few options like call driver, ride info etc.
2. Locate cancel trip option
3. Tap on the button to cancel your trip
4. Another window will pop to ask for your confirmation
5. Once you click on yes, your trip gets cancelled.
6. Since you were assigned a cab there may be a cancellation fee levied to your Uber account. And it does not matter If you do not hire a cab the same hour or same day, whenever you will book a cab through that Uber account a cancellation charge will be added to your bill.
More about cancellation fee and Uber cancellation policy
A Cancellation fee is levied to the account to make sure that rider do not take undue advantage of Uber’s customer-centric model. Also, it will be a great loss to the drivers if people hire cab and so not board a cab. Online cab booking comes with its own pros and cons. When riders book a cab all nearby Uber drivers and cabs are notified. The matched driver then reaches the pickup point.
There is of course cost involved for which the company applies a cancellation fee. The fee amount differs by city and type of vehicle. But the good part is you do not get charged in all scenarios. There are certain exceptions and if you will look at it closely all the reasons for which you are charged a cancellation fee are legitimate.
- If you cancel a ride after 5 minutes of when you were originally matched with the driver you will be charged. In some cities this may be reduced to 2 minutes. This happens for the reason that driver has already accepted the trip and he is on his way to the pick up point.
- If your driver has reached the pick up point and has been to waiting for you, it now depend on the discretion of driver to either cancel or wait for the rider. If the driver has waited for you for over 5 minutes and has to cancel the ride, then you will be charged a cancellation fee.
- If you feel that above situations are not satisfied but you are still charged a fee than you can ask for a waiver.
- If your driver exceeds the initial estimates time of arrival then also the fees will be waived.
In order to request a refund of a cancellation you will need to login to Uber app with your user id and password. Steps to request refund have been shared later in the article.
Uberpool cancellation policy while using Uberpool
Uberpool is service provided by Uber where one cab can be shared by different riders. It is a car pool service that is really a smart choice and really loved by daily commuters. Lets look at the Uber’s cancellation policy for Uberpool.
- Even in Uberpool just like Uber if you cancel the cab after the driver has accepted the trip you will be charged a cancellation fee.
- If you cancel the ride after the driver has arrived at your pick up point you will still be charged a fee.
- In case driver has to cancel the ride after he has waited for you for over 5 minutes and in some cases 2 minutes. In any case if the cab is cancelled before the driver has accepted the ride you will not be charged a cancellation fee.
How we can request a refund
Uber cancellation policy suggests that Cancellation fee is levied to compensate the drivers for their effort and time but sometimes you will need to ask for waiver . Please follow the steps below to request Uber refund of cancellation fee
- Login to your Uber App with your user id and password.
- Tap on the menu on the top right corner
- Search for your trip and click on it.
- Click on cancelled trips or recent trips to review the trip.
- And check if a cancellation fee was charged.
- If you were charged a fee but you think should not have been, then go to the help section and submit a query under ‘problem with cancellation fee’.
The compensation charged for the customers is essential for the efforts and money spent by the drivers. The refund policy lets the customers to avoid unnecessary charges deduced from their account.