Uber launched a new subscription plan for frequent riders in 5 US cities last year. Titled ‘Ride Pass’, this monthly subscription plan is Uber’s attempt to help riders get fixed, low prices on any ride they take in a city, for a small monthly fee. Ride Pass is designed to help customers plan and budget their rides on Uber without being affected by the frequent changes in tariffs throughout the day.
Why Uber introduce Uber Subscription Plan
For long, Uber’s customers had been having a tough time planning and budgeting their day with Uber. This is due to the fact that for the exact same ride, Uber’s fare rates tend to frequently change.
- The factors behind this uncertainty range from traffic, demand, weather and the time of the day. For example, a trip in the morning from your house to your workplace may cost you 10$.
- For the same ride back home in the evening, due to peak hour demand, Uber may charge you up to 20$.
- This makes planning your Uber rides quite challenging. In order to counter this, and to make Uber a more affordable and reliable option, Uber introduced the Ride pass subscription service.
When Uber Starts this?
- On October 30, 2018, Uber announced the launch of its Ride Pass subscription plan service to all riders in five cities: Los Angeles, Miami, Austin, Orlando and Denver.
- As per the plan, riders get the option to lock in on consistent, discounted prices on any ride in the particular city, any time of the day.
- The Ride Pass plan was initially priced at $14.99, while Los Angeles riders had to shell out $24.99 dollars a month.
Uber claimed that signing up for the new subscription plan is easy and can be done on the app itself. The new plan also allows users to view their savings with the plan.
Is Uber Ride Pass Plan auto-renewable?
Uber also mentioned that the plan is auto-renewable. With this, users will not need to remember to buy their pass every month.
At around the same time, Lyft, Uber’s main competitor in the US, also announced a similar service.
Is Uber Expanding their Ride Pass Services
In 2019, Uber expanded its subscription plan to 16 other US cities. The plan is now available in New York City, Dallas, San Diego, Seattle, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Baltimore, Maryland, Nashville and Portland, among others.
Here, riders will be charged $24.99 dollars a month for the Ride Pass benefits.
How the Subscription Plan (Ride Pass) Works?
Uber Ride Pass is available in several US cities. If it is available in your city, the subscription plan offer will be seen in the Uber app menu.
- Open your Uber app: Tap the menu on the top left corner on the Uber app’s home page. From the list of options, choose ‘Ride Pass’ option.
- Buy your pass: The Uber app will show you the plan details and benefits. Tap Get a passto buy your Ride pass. Confirm your payment details and buy your plan.
- Track your savings: The app will show you real time updated savings with this plan. You can track your savings on this page.
Uber’s newly launched subscription plan is expected to be rolled out to other markets soon. A Ride Pass is definitely a great option to plan your day with Uber and get discounted rides throughout the day.