Uber is a technology company that facilitates urban and sub-urban transportation. The company’s Smart phone or mobile app acts as a conduit. It uses internet working or communication technology to connect all the stakeholders. Uber, driver partners, and passenger(s) interact over the phone. This article describes the Uber service UberX.
Other services of the company can also be accessed using computers, laptops, and tablet PCs. Ride hailing or booking, cancellation, accounts management, and payments are completely digitized. Comparison of UberX and UberPool can be viewed using the link provided.
Uber does not own the cars – be it a sedan, SUV, limousine, or a hi-tech model. The car owner can operate the vehicle or hire a driver’s services. A wide variety of cars are utilized, and they are distinguished by their service level. The range of services include UberGo, UberX, UberXL, UberSELECT, UberSUV, UberBLACK, UberLUX, etc.
These services differ in terms of car model, total number of riders, pricing policy, and quality. UberX falls under the low price, mid-size car service category. Only UberGO has a cheaper pricing strategy than the X. All other services like the XL, SUV, LUX, and BLACK are much more expensive.
Requirements For UberX Cars
- The car has to be a comfortable and convenient 4-seater, 4-door sedan.
- It should be up-to-date in terms of registration plate and driving performance.
- The vehicle should have room for 4 or more passengers other than the driver.
- The auto version, model and make should be later than 2006(2002 in some places).
- The interior facilities should include air-conditioning, 5 seat belts, and heating system.
- Car’s windows, seats, and seat belts should be in good working condition.
- Uber may reject vehicles that are modified or with installed seats or seat belts.
- Taxis, salvaged vehicles, or those cars with markings, brand names, etc., are not eligible.
- In some cities, The driver and vehicle should both have insurance coverage.
- Finally, Only those vehicles which pass the inspection are allowed for daily service.
- Uber may reject automobile versions that are older than 15 years, after inspection.
Note – The requirements vary from one city to another. In some areas, Hatchbacks, SUVs, and minivans are also permitted to operate.
Popular Car Makes And Models For UberX
- Toyota Etios, Prius, Camry, Corolla
- Nissan Maxima, Sunny, Altima, Almera
- Kia Sorento, Kia Picanto
- Dodge Charger, Optima
- BMW 3 Series
- Ford Escape, Fusion, Escort, Crown Victoria
- Honda Accord, Hummer H3
- Chevrolet Equinox, Chrysler 200 & 300
- Maruti Swift Dzire, Mahindra Verito, Indigo
ROLE OF TECHNOLOGY
UberX is one of the most popular ride hailing services in the world. The riders and drivers are connected by the company when there is demand. Technology is the single defining factor in all the related transactions.
1. Mapping System
The mobile or Smart phone App is indispensable for every Uber ride. The passenger uses the app to demand or request a ride when it is needed.
Uber connects the nearest driver to this ride-sharer. It uses cutting edge GPS technology to determine the pick-up location. There is a tracking mechanism which is activated for the entire duration of the trip.
Drivers and passengers of UberX service have personal accounts. Their profile data, trip history, and payments are recorded.
Both cash and cashless transactions are permitted under this level of service. Uber customers normally connect their credit cards to the account for payments and receipts.
The company charges base fare, waiting time fee, per km fare, cancellation penalty, etc., The fare is estimated before hand, and the formula is quite transparent.
Educated and math savvy riders and drivers can calculate the total fare. The app itself is automated, and there are no hidden charges. However, Surge or dynamic pricing policy eliminates the possibility of fixed rates.
According to a 2014 research, Uber handles over 1 million rides per day. The management team utilizes a profit-oriented business model and achieves success. Software systems, data, and real time communications are leveraged with care.
The company aspires to dominate the transport networking sector. It aims to deliver ergonomic, economic, and efficient services through technical finesse.
Uber designates ride sharers and drivers as “partners” in their transport operations. According to some accounts, It is a peer to peer ride sharing service only. But Governments, of late, have imposed regulations using the term ‘transport network company’. The related controversies have hovered around price strategies, worker rights, and taxation issues. Despite the obstacles, Uber is going strong and has expanded its business to other areas.
In addition to regular car hailing service, The company has diversified in recent times. Other global services include cargo supply, food delivery, chopper rides, and water taxis. However, their reliable services like UberX, UberXL, and UberBLACK are still market leaders. They deliver these pros and cons to the stakeholders over a period of time –
- The drivers can work flexible hours and earn a satisfactory monthly income.
- Those who do not own cars can also work for multiple owners or employers.
- Tech savvy drivers can carefully strategise their services and earn more money.
- Those who are ambitious can earn good ratings from the riders and aim higher.
- They can build a strong network and lead an insured and damage free life.
- Drivers have to cope with traffic tickets, damages, accidents, and other risks.
- Heavy competition sifts out inefficient drivers, and efficiency is amply rewarded.
- They may not receive prompt and friendly customer support from the Uber teams.
- A car ride is always going to be more expensive than a public transport bus fare.
- Group rides also require management of an individual’s personal account.
- Habituated commuters will no longer seek transport in a lively and active manner.
- To stay relevant, Smart phone navigation apps have to be updated regularly.
- There are regulations and restrictions on pick up and drop off locations.
- Not everyone is tech savvy, and there is no legal recourse for complaints.
- Despite the cons, UberX rides are prompt and convenient for many passengers.
- Cashless transactions and mobile communications are very comfortable.
- Passengers can share the ride, and get to their destination in a safe manner.
- Online technologies are trustworthy, secure, and data protection is assured.
- Finally, Mutual rating system keeps both the rider and the driver in check.