Uber Lite is the simpler and smaller version of the original Uber mobile application available for Android devices. This version is not available for the Uber Driver app.
About Uber Lite
A newly launched app, Uber Lite enables riders to make use of a no-frill version of Uber’s standard mobile application to request a ride. Uber claims that the launch of this lighter version was to expand the scope of Uber’s reach and connect to users with differentiated and exclusive needs such as limited device storage.
- Due to its smaller size, the app utilizes less storage space on the user’s device. So, the minimum device requirements to use the app are significantly reduced.
- The app is designed to consume a considerably lower amount of data than the standard Uber app. This ensures normal Uber services even in areas with low or spottier connectivity.
- To add to its list of features, the application is easy to learn and use, making it suitable for a more diverse and inclusive group of individuals. Even in regions with slower than average internet speeds, the app can be used successfully.
So, Uber Lite acts as the company’s attempt to cater to communities with limited data plans or conspicuous device limitations. You can download the app from Google Play Store.
Where is the application available?
Currently, Uber Lite is available across the following countries:
- Latin America
- United Arab Emirates
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
To check for the availability of the application in your area, visit Google Play Store and search for “Uber Lite.” Nonetheless, like all of Uber’s offerings, Uber plans on expanding this service to more markets in the near future.
Where can I find the app?
If you have an Android device and want to use Uber, you can easily find both the app versions on Google Play Store. However, iOS users have to download the standard Uber app as Lite is not available on the Apple Play Store yet.
Also, Lite is only compatible with Android smartphones as of now and is currency operational on Android versions 4.4 or above.
How is Uber Lite different from the normal Uber app?
Uber and Uber Lite have multiple apparent differences in terms of size, data consumption, in-app features, and user interface.
- Your normal Uber application has a size of over 180 MB. Lite, on the other hand, is only 5 MB to download.
- To ensure the smooth functioning of Uber Lite, in-app maps are an optional feature. You can access the map if you want to.
- Lite lacks a majority of animations and gestures available on the fuller app version. For instance, the regular Uber app users are used to looking at tiny vehicle models on their map while requesting a trip. The same is replaced in Lite for a slimmed-down layout.
- Additionally, Uber Lite has an edge over its full-fledged app version in terms of data usage. Lite is designed to work even without WiFi and strong internet connectivity. Also, you can expect a quick ride booking experience in a few taps even on a 2G network with Lite.