Uber Taxi lets you request local taxicabs directly using the Uber mobile application. The offering enables the rider to leverage licensed taxi services while enjoying the convenience and safety of a standard Uber ride.
About Uber Taxi
Traditionally, customers have to physically flag down a cab or contact a specific cab service company via phone to request a cab. However, with Uber Taxi, riders can book a licensed, local taxi cab through Uber’s unified ride-sharing platform. As an Uber customer, you benefit from:
- On-demand ride-sharing
- Live tracking of the taxi
- Cashless payments with Uber Cash
- Compatible with Uber’s promotional codes, discounts, and coupons
- Adequate background screening of licensed driver-partners
- Trusted Uber services
So, you get access to flexible ride booking with Uber Taxi in vehicles that have undergone security checks and meet local regulations.
How to request an Uber Taxi?
You can request a Taxi by following the procedure to book any other ride-sharing type offered by Uber.
- Visit the Uber application
- Fill in your drop-off address and pickup destination in the provided fields
- Upon confirmation of the addresses, you have to tap “Taxi” from the list of available ride types
- Select a mode of payment. If you have an Uber Cash wallet, it will be the default payment option.
- Select “Confirm Taxi”
- The system will match you with a nearby vehicle and the details of the same, along with the driver’s details will reflect on your device
- You can track vehicle arrival on the app’s map
- Upon arriving at your destination, the app will automatically charge the fare through Uber Cash (if you did not change the payment method while confirming your ride)
Where is this service available?
The ride-share offering is available in select U.S. cities, including Boston, Washington DC, Honolulu, and New York City. Other than the U.S, Uber Taxi is available in multiple cities across South Korea, Japan, Germany, Canada, Australia, and Singapore, among others. The company is constantly looking to expand the service across geographic locations.
Also, the riders must note that Uber Taxi is referred to as Uber Cab in certain regions, such as Chicago. Riders can confirm the availability of any ridesharing alternative in their location by simply visiting the mobile application or the company website.
Is Uber Taxi better than local taxi company offerings in terms of convenience and pricing?
In several respects, Uber’s taxi offering outperforms local taxi services. However, you can notice key differences in the convenience factor of the services.
You can hail a Taxi by leveraging the application. It offers a more convenient way to get a taxi as the app acts as a unified platform for booking a ride, tracking it during the waiting time, and even making payments.
As for the pricing system of Uber Taxi, Uber has a set metered rate. For this service, a booking fee of up to $2 is charged, alongside a 20% gratuity. Nonetheless, ride fares vary from one geographic location to another. Also, the time of requesting a ride, say during high-volume times, can affect ride fares, among other factors.